Blog Picture

Blog Picture

Monday, January 23, 2012

Pets and Foster Kids

I am a pet person.  You would know this the minute you knocked upon my door and heard the chorus of barking that accompanies each door bell ring.  I have three dogs named Sam, Rocky, and Artie who make all the racket when you come to the door.  Two of them are very friendly and wish to greet the latest person to visit their household.  The third is more protective and shows this by continuing to bark when you come in the door.  One question I hear often from people considering fostering is, "Is it okay to have pets?"  The answer is yes, yes and yes!  Our pets are a special part of our family.  I do not have cats but I have had lizards, guinea pigs and various hamsters who share the house with the dogs.  I am not sure if my dogs actually know who lives in our house.  In addition to foster kids, we have friends who spend the night and significant others (boyfriends/girlfriends) who spend a lot of time at the house.  My daughter Brynna just broke up with her boyfriend of more than year.  He used to walk the dog and take naps with him.  I am sure that Rocky is going to miss him being around.  The foster kids who have lived in my house seem to enjoy the pets that we have.  When life is hard or stressful, a pet is a wonderful cuddling ball of fur.  A dog or a cat can provide unlimited amounts of unconditional love.  One of my kids would always spend 30 minutes stroking Sam after a stressful visit with a birth parent.  Sam seemed to understand the child's need and would just snuggle and accept the love.  It is a wonderful sight for me to watch a dog heal a child's hurt when no one else can.  Your pets are important enough to be included in your home study and a social worker will keep your pets in mind when placing a child. Walking the dog or feeding the cat are wonderful chores for a foster child to participate in.  These kids need to experience a normal life and what is more normal than cleaning out a litter box?  Shelly appreciates Rocky's protective nature.  He barks when he hears noises and does not let strangers in the house.  This helps her feel safe and protected from the danger her birth parents represent to her.  Foster kids have seen and experienced too many of the bad things in this world.  Pets can gently show them the good side of life again. 

11 comments:

  1. I am a foster parent to 2 wonderful boys at the moment with a 3rd to come on the 30. I also have 3 beautiful bio children and 2 barking dogs :)
    I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Thanks for the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes pets are get more priority for fostering children. I feel fostering children's tragedy. I helps their.
    Thanks...

    fostering children

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the process of becoming a foster parent and I am worried that they will decline me because I have 2 inside dogs. One is a mini pin and the other is a boarder-collie. Both are good with my own kids. This blog Helped ease some stress and anixety. I pray it works out. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I could help. I think that having a pet in the home is better than not having one. Animals are proven healers and our foster kids need healing more than anything when they first come to our families. Make sure your dogs are licensed and up to date on their shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about to start the paperwork part of becoming a foster parent and even though this particular post is a bit older, it does offer some hope. I have 3 small dogs, 2 chihuahua (neither are aggressive toward children) and a miniature pinscher.
    I am glad to hear that the case worker will take into consideration that some families have pets. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I are foster parents, and actually just completed the adoption of three of our foster children. We have FIVE inside dogs (a shepherd, three labs and a Westie) and they didn't have a problem with the dogs at all. We just had to demontrate that we had a safety plan in place to make sure there weren't any problems with the dogs and kids getting along. The kids absolutely love the dogs, and they definitely make our house a home. Muddy paws and all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in wisconsin and we had are first homestudie today. We were told we have to find homes for are 2 ferrets, chincilla, and the lizzards but the dog and cat are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is several years old, but I just wanted to say a big thank you to the writer and all those who left comments. My husband and I have 2 cats and a dog and we may be "adopting" my sister's dog now that she's had a baby and can't juggle both. As my husband and I research and begin this process, the pet are a major concern cause I love them and can't imagine having to part with them. I truly appreciate everyone's insight! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still here and glad to know that my blog is still helping out. Good luck to you!

      Delete
  9. Amazing!!!! Myself and my hubby wanted to start the fostering process but too were worried about whether we would be able to with our 4 dogs!! They are part of our family, we have a chihuahua, sausage dog and 2 lurchers, the sausage dog is not keen on strangers in the house (she was rescue) but once she gets to know you she is just as loving, the other 3 would shower anyone with kisses. If you wanted to adopt or foster in Wales, I was told by a friend your only allowed one dog!!!!! Seems unfair

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just curious as to does it matter the breed of the dog? I have a docile pit bull that grew up around young children his whole life. He is well trained and will actually shake hands/paws when meeting a new person. He rarely barks and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, but because of the way society sees the breed I am curious how a SW will? Oh and I also have 3 cats- 2 of which are mine, the third is a foster. I live in Florida. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete