Blog Picture

Blog Picture

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sex-trafficking Sting Highlights Vulnerability of Foster Children

This article bothers me on so many levels that I have to say something about it!  Here is the link to read it:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-child-sex-20130730,0,1571781.story

The statistic at the end of the article is more disturbing than anything else.  Here is the quote, "Half of sexually trafficked minors in California come from the foster care system. By comparison, fewer than 1% of all children in California are foster children."  Half of them!!!!!  

I know what the answer to this problem is.  It is very simple and very basic.  The system needs a lot more caring foster families.  A foster family who cares about a lost child provides structure, expectations, and love.  They are able to show a child what a real family is like.  These children come from tragic circumstances and often the basics of a normal family life can be life changing.  What are the basics?  It starts with 3 meals everyday.  Most children entering foster care have never had that.  Next is a parent that cares about the child and shows it each day by providing affection or a listening ear.  Basic rules of a household such as, going to school everyday, getting along with others in the household, and no stealing.  Building bonds of trust and love are the building blocks of a child learning right from wrong.  I have seen this magic work many times.  

Where do children go if there are no foster homes available?  Case workers and licensing workers are amazing people.  They work hard to find a home for a child by searching out relatives (good and bad), calling and begging current foster families to take just one more child or finding a residential treatment center.    The Department of Human Services connects with private agencies and the spreads the word when a child needs a home.  More foster homes in every single state would mean that children would be cared for in the best situation possible and not as they currently are with overworked case workers and overloaded foster homes. 

One family could make the difference for one child.    If you are thinking about fostering a child, I urge you to do more than just thing about it.   The work that foster parents do is nothing short of a miracle.  I hope you will consider saving a child from the kind of tragic circumstances described in this article.  All it takes is love.

2 comments:

  1. I am planning to be a foster parent as soon as I am more established (gotta get a job and a normal place to live) but the bad news is I will probably just take smaller kids, like kindergarten or younger, because that is the age groups I have the most experience with and am most comfortable with. I know teenagers and older kids are the ones who are the most in need. But I was nervous around teenagers even when I was one myself (I got bullied a lot) so I just want to start out with the smaller kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angel, everyone has to start somewhere. Taking in little ones is just as important as the older ones. It is important to do what you are comfortable with because otherwise the path will be much harder. I hope you are able to start on this journey soon!

    ReplyDelete