Blog Picture

Blog Picture

Monday, November 12, 2012

Foster Parent Support Groups

Part of my job at Hands Across the Water is creating, supporting, and maintaining a foster parent support group.  I was very excited to take on this portion of my job because I enjoy sharing stories about foster care.  I hoped that my crazy experiences as a foster parent could be valuable to others.  I looked forward to listening to the stories of others and comparing notes.  I set up the classes, advertised them, and nobody came.  I waited a few months and sent the word around to different places and still nobody came.  I changed the day and time to encourage people to come and I am still at zero attendance.

Hmmm.  In the meantime, I jumped at the opportunity to substitute as a facilitator for another support group at HATW, the A-OK group for parents who have adopted older children.  This group has been established for  long time and has some regularly attending members.  I hoped to gain some ideas for my own group by hanging out with an already established group.  The experience was amazing!

Three families came and shared their situations and talked about their challenges.  I was concerned that my experiences would not apply to their situations but I was wrong.  Kids with behavior problems share many similar characteristics.  I learned a great deal and I wished that I had brought my husband with me.  It is wonderful to be around people who are seeking out solutions to their issues.  These are people who will not give up on their children and will continue to learn and explore until they find a method that works for their children. Their situation is similar to older children in foster care.   Many people outside of the foster care world wonder why a foster parent stays in a difficult situation when they can send the child to another home and just give up.  Foster parents know that if they become another step on the ladder in a long line of foster homes that the only one paying the price is the foster child.  Many refuse to give up and continue to try and help the child in their care.   It is inspiring to be in the same room with people who are so committed to their children. 

In my opinion, raising children is a life long commitment no matter how they arrive as part of the family.  Biological children come with disabilities and behavior challenges just as adopted children do.  Foster kids always bring along emotional baggage when they arrive in the home to add to the challenge of parenting.  I can honestly say that my biological children have caused me more grief than my foster kids in some cases.  We never know the path we will be traveling when we become a parent. 

That is why support groups are so important!  We can talk to each other and share the burden.  We can get new ideas or help out another family. We can form new friendships with others who have chosen to ride in the same boat that we have.  I will keep trying to get my group going because it is too important to just let it go.  If you are a foster parent at HATW email me if you are interested in participating in a support group.  If you are just surfing the net, look for a foster parent support group and let me know the address so that I can join in too.   

6 comments:

  1. I agree, support groups are very important--my husband and I are still waiting for a placement, but I can't imagine trying to do this without having other people around whose experience I can look to (and who I can vent to!). We've been intending to make it to a meeting but just haven't managed to (we've only been licensed since August, though). Please keep trying to get the group going! I promise we'll make it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the week I had I need a support group ,I'm truly feeling all a lone as a foster parent . I don't think my worker is a good supporter to myself or the children placed in my home, Who do I talk to?

      Delete
  2. caregivers support groups
    Caregiver Space. The work we do at The Caregiver Space stems from our commitment to ensuring caregivers feel seen, heard and most of all supported.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is great. I would love to talk about this topic whole day..I shared it with my valuable friends. I like the way you are managing , I will be in touch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Männergruppen men's group and search on your selves in addition to communicate actually

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm new in this area.....Matter of fact, still in license process..... Any and all advice is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete