Blog Picture

Blog Picture

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tell Your Story!

I love to talk about adoption and foster care.  I will talk about it with anyone who is interested enough to listen.  Why?  Because adoption is the stuff of miracles and foster care is the path that led to the adoptions of my two little boys.  I have proof that I am willing to talk to anyone now because a  reporter for Heritage News starting asking me questions that resulted in a wonderful newspaper article on our family that was published this week.  Here is the link if you are interested: 
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heritage.com%2Farticles%2F2012%2F06%2F02%2Fmilan_news_leader%2Fnews%2Fdoc4fca34c8e3ca9712585342.txt%3Fviewmode%3Ddefault&h=NAQElvoavAQHGtRC3QgnRx7-UqnlYfY212RclMN7pbPbyEw.

The result of having my family's story splashed across a newspaper was that a LOT of people saw it.  Then my friends picked it up on facebook, then it went to their friends and so on.  I am hoping that my neighbors down the street read it because then they may finally understand the large number of cars in my driveway!  There are three teenagers driving in my household and one more in training.  That translates to five cars coming and going all day at my house.  I am sure people must wonder what is really going on at this end of the street.

During my week of popularity, I had the strangest experience.  I attended a picnic/field trip event that was held by my 7 year old son's teacher for all the children in her class.  The kids played games and had lunch.   Parents helped out and visited with each other.  I was deep in conversation with another lady that I had worked with before, when I noticed a Dad patiently waiting to talk to me.  I had no idea who he was but he seemed to know me.  He said that I looked familiar, which happens to me a lot.  I am the crossing guard at the elementary school in my small town.  A lot of people see me every day and then can't put their finger on where they have seen me before.  I explained and then he immediately began to tell me about his experience adopting his daughter from Russia.  I swear, I did not say one word about foster care or adoption to prompt this story.  His story had some fascinating details about traveling to Russia three different times and agonizing over the medical issues his child had been diagnosed with.  I can barely imagine sitting in a foreign country listening to someone tell me that the child I already loved had a heart defect and hepatitis C.  He and his wife went through a long night deciding whether to accept or decline the adoption.  They decided to go ahead with the adoption and brought the child home.  Doctor's at the University of Michigan examined her and found no trace of a heart defect or hepatitis C.  What a story!  What a miracle!

Our conversation ended very quickly after when the kids came to pull us away.  I was left wondering what prompted this man to share such a personal story with me?   I am very glad that he did because I had a moment to explain that my son was adopted also.  Later, I asked my son if he was friends with this little girl and pointed out that she had been adopted too.  He thought that was very cool and connected with her the next day.  Everyone in the adoption/foster care world has a story of tangled events that result in a miracle.  I hope that everyone shares their story, when they can, to raise awareness and to educate others about this special journey. 

1 comment: