Blog Picture

Blog Picture

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Resentment, Frustration and all the Rest of those Negative Feelings

Lately, I have been feeling nothing but frustration with things happening in my house.  Things are in a rut and not moving forward.  One child is having trouble at school, another has dating troubles and if I have to call the social security office one more time this week I am going to scream.  This would be the short list of my frustrations occurring right now in my house.  Sometimes, despite training and experience in parenting, I just don't seem to make in any progress with the kids.  All parents experience frustration and feel like giving up.  Is it any different for a foster parent?  The answer is no, of course not.  However, foster parents are under scrutiny at all times and perception matters.  People tend to see foster parents as angels or devils.  In the media, we are portrayed as child abusers or money grubbers.  People in my community often say, "Oh I could never do that!"  As if I am doing something that is either insane or angelic.  Actually, I don't feel like I fit in either category.  I love my kids.  I celebrate their successes and agonize over their troubles.  I also experience feelings of frustration, anger and resentment.  I get tired of giving.  There are times when I really need a break from the chaos that is in my home.  With six children, I do not have free time.  Rarely is the family television available for something that I might want to watch.  I count free time as time in the car traveling or waiting to pick up a child from an event.  I keep magazines in my care just hoping for a quiet moment of reading.  So, yes, there are times when I have had enough.  Times when I resent all the people around me (even my husband).  I think it is safe to say that I am only human.  However, as a foster parent, others are quick to judge.  My actions are under suspicion at all times as the system needs to watch carefully for signs of abuse.  I understand it, but I don't like it.  I even hesitated to write about the subject but I have always been a person who would rather discuss things rather than sweep them under the rug.  I have days where I love my children beyond description and days where I hate my children beyond description.  Having frustrating days is part of the job description and does not make me a lousy or abusive parent.  If anything, negative feelings make me a better parent in the long run.  They help me recognize problem areas and learn about myself as a person.  So let's look at my frustration list again.  I have now moved the problem student to a new school where his needs can be identified and addressed.    I had a long talk with my daughter dating someone she likes to be with instead of needy boys.  Last of all, I hired a lawyer to deal with social security.  I am going to let someone else deal with that pile of frustration.  I also believe very strongly in attending foster parent support groups.  These are people who are carrying the same bucket of frustration as you are and they can help.  This group is a place where I can talk safely and air my frustrations.  It is a great place for sharing ideas and just talking it out.  Even just sitting and listening in a foster parent support group helps me feel like I am not alone and I can tackle my list of frustrations again.  Then, the next time someone in my house leaves their dirty dishes where they shouldn't, I can just smile and let it go.  Or maybe not!!!!

8 comments:

  1. I know excatly how you feel my husband and I are foster and adoptive parents also of four their ages range from10 mts to 6 years. I know the fustration and feelings you are having its like you are walking a tightrope getting ready to break. Dealing with the system is not easy I believe its eaiser to deal with my children and their issues than DHS but its all part of the life we have choosen and we make the best of it and we keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DHS can be our friend as easily as they can be our enemy. The red tape seems designed to trip us up at every turn. I have found that a good worker is worth their weight in gold when dealing with DHS and the court system. When you find one, stick with them. I am currently working with Social Security for one of my children and it is driving me crazy!!! I can't get anywhere. I know there must be a good worker in that office somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you wrote this earlier this year , but every word you wrote at this moment is word for word the emotions I'm feeling and going through right now. I know I am not alone... But sometimes I feel very very alone , I feel like every move I make and every thing I do is judged ....really who cares about others , but I try so so hard to do my best and give every moment of every day to these children , but all I get back is negative feedback. I just want to hide in my closet and cry , it's so frustrating sometimes - if I had enough energy left I would scream!!!! I really just want to thank you for helping me feel not so alone roght now . I know we will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this. I needed to read it THIS morning......lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I sit here reading everybody's comments I was at my wits end today..I felt like giving up and maybe im not a good foster parent...why does it seem like the system is working against me...how do you want me to set boundaries and rules..but yet the parent that dosent want the child can come in and make rules and the system accomadates it to a certain extent and throws things off...I have been doing this for 4yrs, teenage boys only (the ones 16/17/18) almost set in there own ways...but no where ready for life..and the parents dont want them back. You feel stuck..but they are your kids..you look out for their best interest all the way around. Ok i have vented..and I thank you for whoever reads this...stay prayed up folks...We got this !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sitting here today...I am beyond frustrated. I don't need to hear from the biological mother or the foster worker one more time that I am not this child's mother. I fully recognize the fact that I am not her BIOLOGICAL mother, but I am in every other sense of the word this child's mom! Anyways, I am sick of being told that I have to give up my whole life to cater to the biological parents needs and wishes! GIVE ME A BREAK!!! They are the ones that couldn't take two seconds to care for their child...so please explain why I am being punished??? Or at least it feels that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had a foster child in my home now for 14 months and DSS is now pursuing guardianship. Previously they said they had exhausted all relatives to see if anyone was willing to take our foster daughter in but no relatives were willing to or able to complete the home study. Today, my husband and I went to a meeting to discuss guardianship and the case worker said that 2 family members have come forth and want to complete home studies. Neither of the placements have had anything to do with our foster daughter since she has come into custody and the one person has never met her. I feel so sorry for this little girl that words cannot express how I frustrated that I am with the whole system. This little girl has been with me since she was 2 1/2 years old and also have provided daycare for her since she was 18 months old. She has become part of our family. I hope and pray that she is able to stay but I guess we will have to sit in limbo for another 6 months before DSS can decide where she will live permanently. So frustrating....We need an end to this.. for her sanity and ours....

    ReplyDelete